I've seen one or two unboxing videos of Santimanitay pop up; but now someone has written an actual review of it. I actually met Nicole at one of my play tests last year, she helped test the game twice actually. Nicole, quite possibly, may have played the game more than anyone else I know, playing it twice before release as well as multiple times after she bought a copy. Who better to do a review than her. Anyway, you can check it out here and take a look around while you're there she has a lot of great content!
It's an interesting feeling when your hard work starts to pay off and goals become reality. After more that two years of development and testing and prototyping and more testing, it's almost here. Well, technically it IS here. After a fair deal of back and forth with the manufacturers, me telling them what I wanted and they advising me on what was practical and cost effective, we came to a compromise. I was able to have a handful of the final version of the game shipped and the video is me opening it up for the first time. There is no commentary because I was in a bit of shock to be honest; I just didn't know what to say.
I was very impressed with the quality of the finished product; the overall finish, the print quality, the weight; it felt substantial, not flimsy or cheap. One of the compromises that I'm very glad happened was the finish of the game box itself. Initially I wanted a gloss finish, because that's more in line with the prototype I had created. The manufacturer said that a matte finish would look better, I doubted it, but this was one thing they felt very strongly about, and so I trusted their judgement. I was not disappointed at all! I'm very VERY happy with the final result. Design-wise, my goal was to produce something that would be able to stand up and compete with anything else on the market visually AND in terms of quality. I think I have achieved that with this product.
I have always been involved in Carnival and Mas; playing, making, photographing. For a long while I helped produce a children’s Carnival band, and in 2006 the band played “Aquarium,” a stylized sailor band designed by Patrick Roberts (designer and bandleader).
I was the graphic designer for the band and as such I handled the logo creation for the different portrayals each year, along with helping to construct the costumes of course. For Aquarium however, I got a little more involved in the design aspect of the band itself. I created different fish icons for the band.
These icons were then projected and blown up to make stencils.
These stencils were then used to transfer the artwork onto squares of fabric.
These fabric squares were then stretched over frames to be hand painted.
Which was then used to make the costumes.
It was a very interesting experience seeing my artwork on children's costumes as they played ah mas through town.