Now that I had the basic idea about the gameplay, it was time to work on the visuals. I had a specific vision of how I wanted the game to look. There HAD to be stylised illustrations to go along with the actual board design as well as the game cards. I approached a friend of mine to do the illustrations for me; he agreed but said it would take some time as he was busy with other projects. This wasn't a huge problem as I wanted the artwork for the final design anyway; in the mean time I used some of my own illustrations.
The last time I really played board games I remembered the board being a single fold design. Since that time however, the quad-fold board has become the standard; as it can be folded down smaller to take up less shelf space in stores. So after some more research I worked out how to make my own using straw board and duct tape.
After designing the board art I got it printed out on paper, now it's time to attach the backing. I pulled out my trusty metal ruler and x-acto knife and got to work. I bought all purpose glue and stuck the artwork down... piece by piece.
Along with the board, I designed and printed the game cards. I had to cut and glue the fronts and backs together myself (to cut down on cost.) After that, the testing continued.